Saturday, December 6, 2008

Deck the Halls!

The past week and a half we have been decorating for Christmas around our house. Isaac has has such a ball helping me get ready. Every year I have a hard time remembering where I put everything, so I thought it might be helpful if I took some pictures to refer back to. This is my most prized Christmas decoration. My Tutu(grandmother), who passed away when I was three years old made this tree. She actually made two of them. There was a list of my aunts who wanted these when my Grandpa died. Lucky for me, a few years before he passed away, my Grandpa gave one to me. My Tutu was very talented in anything artistic and used old buttons and jewelry to make this tree. It is strung with lights, but I think it looks better with them off. With it being so old, it's hard to believe that this is also my most complimented decoration.

This is a project that I almost wish I had never taken on. I found this cute idea from my friend Emily's craft blog.(http://www.creativeholidaygiftideas.blogspot.com/) I thought it was so cute, so I made one. Well, Isaac loved it, since he always wants to play with my nativity. I thought it was a great help teaching him about the true meaning of Christmas. I also thought it would be fun to share it with my friends in my ward. I put out a sign up sheet and thought I might have 10-12 people sign up. Oh no, I had 40! So after 30 2x4's cut into 520 blocks and a 3 1/2 hour class, it is done.



This is our advent calender. Our resident "elf" Twinkle Toes, that lives at our house and reports to Santa, leaves the kids treats each morning provided they are good.









Isaac decorating his tree in his toy room.

Helping with my tree.



12 comments:

Melissa said...

All I can say is WOW.

Annie said...

Hello Mandy, Travis and Family. We just got your Christmas card and your kids are adorable. I am quite impressed with your decorating skills, a talent I do not possess. I'm lucky I have our tree up-that's about it for us! We need to hang out sometime.

bev said...

I am seriously coveting your button tree!! That is fantastic. Lucky girl.

bev said...

I am serioulsy coveting your button tree. That is fantastic. Lucky Girl!

Aimee said...

Your house is decorated so cute. You guys did a great job. Thanks for the Christmas card. I love the family picture. We wish you guys a Merry Christmas!

Mimaw said...

Love you post, and you already know I love your Tutu's hand-me-down-tree! (Lucky You) Thanks again with the help on the block nativity set(s)

Nick and Jessi said...

Mandi,
Where did you get the darling people that you put on your nativity blocks? It's so cute I might need to make one for my kids too.
Jessi

Nick and Jessi said...

Mandi,
If you wouldn't mind sending them to Nick's email that would be great. You always have the cutest ideas. I wish I was in your ward so I could do all your crafts!
Jessi

Kate and Blake plus 3 said...

Hey Mandi,
Hope you don't mind a little blog-stalking! I saw your address on your cute Christmas card at my moms. Your house looks darling! Isaac is so cute helping. I love the nativity blocks (which is a good thing because I bet my mom was one of the 40 people who signed up to make one for me. I think I just ruined her gift-I'll have to act suprised.)I'd love to add you to our blog, email me @ bkerichardson@gmail.com

Katie (Burningham :) )

kendall said...

you are an amazing decorator! I'm jealous. we're 'thinking' about getting a tree?!?!

Emily said...

I have a big smile on my face about the blocks! One year I was in charge of a scrapbooked calendar for super sat, I had to have all the paper pre cut, embellishments made and organized etc., And yes, 40 people signed up for it! It was insane!

jjfid said...

Hi Mandi,
Your Blog is AMAZING! I could just feel the love you and your family share! Your Boys are DARLING and your Christmas decorations are so neat! Thanks for taking such good care of Lorri and Larry during such a hard time for us. You and Travis are a very special couple. Love you xoxo Jalyne