Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Something to think about

A couple of weeks ago, I had a strange comment from a strange person on my blog. When I clicked on their profile, their interests were, porn, sex etc, you get the picture. I really don't want to set my blog private, because I love having friends be able to find me. I did a little research on blog safety and these are a few things I came up with to help avoid going private. So we will see how this works.
1. I removed my blog from search engines(in your settings)
2. Google yourself from time to time and see what comes up.
3. I moderated my comments so no comments will be posted until I read them in an email and approve them.(also in settings)
4. When you post pics make sure that no identifying markers(address, licence plates, names of schools or place of work) are visible.
5. Don't mention your routine or when and how long you will be out of town. Don't put up count down counters for vacations.
6. Don't post exact birthdays. Publish the birthday post days, weeks or months later.
7. You can copy right your pictures. You can now do this using Picasa and its free.
8. Do not post your email when leaving comments. You can use Kontactr(www. kontactr.com..its free also) to have people contact you.
9. Keep your blogs positive. You never know who can find you.
10. Assume that everything you post will be permanent.
11. Use a site counter (feedjit,sitemeter,statcounter). These are all free and you can monitor where your hits are coming from (usually just city or state) and what posts are being looked at.
12. Don't mention when your spouse will be out of town or not at home.
13. Lastly, do not ever post your last name. If you put up a list of friend's and family's blogs don't ever put up their last name. So I need every one's help with this. I have removed my last name from my blog and if you have it on yours could you please remove it. Thanks so much!
I have been guilty of so many of these things. I will definately watch what I post. Hopefully this is some good info for someone. I will see how things go and hopefully I won't have to go private!

8 comments:

Fun times at the McF home said...

I have been struggling with the same thing. Thanks for the great suggestions, and I will fix your name on my blog! I hate how everything comes back to pervs...

The Little's said...

SCARY!!! Stuff like that freak me out!!

Summer said...

Nice reminder Amanda!! I've taken a lot of your tips and implemented them into my blog. And, I've re-named all of my friends/family to remove last names.

Eny Yusof said...

hey mandi, a pretty thoughful info you have there. in todays world, we would never know what will happen or how far the bad people will go just to satisfy themself.

got to make a mental note of all that from now on. thanks!

Melissa said...

Thanks Mandi. If I went private none of my family could see cause they don't have google accounts. And it took like 6 months just for them to download skype. I don't know what I'd do for them if I went private. They're so slow with the computer things.
So can you give me more detials about the contact thing.
How do I do it?
I'm going to go on to Picassa right now and copyright it.
Is it easy?

London said...

That's creepy. Thanks for the tips even though I went private.

Mimaw said...

maybe you can help me make sure mine has all the private stuff on when you're over

Robyn said...

Thanks Mandi! This is really helpful!