Sunday, August 23, 2009

Seattle Part 3 " Blackberry picking and the garden"

Our next adventure was heading out to find blackberries for cobbler. First stop was the garden to get some taeberries which Tutu grows. They are a cross between a raspberry and a blackberry and are the sweetest berry I have ever tasted. I wish I could explain to you how amazing this garden is. Everything is organic and has no pesticides. They grow everything you can imagine, including herbs, artichokes, potatoes, carrots, lettuce, shallots, onions, strawberries, taeberries, tomatoes, beans, peas, cauliflower, and asparagus. AMAZING! I know they spent countless hours making this garden what it is! Isaac was so enthralled with how things grew. He was really fascinated.


My Aunt planted asparagus this year. It usually won't harvest until the following year, but we found one lone stalk. I thought it looked so pretty and mystical.

This is an artichoke that wasn't picked. I didn't know they had such a beautiful flower. The next one is the potatoes we dug up for dinner.

Isaac couldn't get enough of the pea pods. They were so sweet.

Get a whiff of that mint...



And here is what we came for. These blackberries grow wild all over San Juan Island. You can be driving down the main road and on the sides they are covered in blackberry bushes. Luscious berries for the picking.


The fruits of our labor...

We then went exploring the trail my Uncle Rob has blazed through the property. Six acres of foresty heaven. Perfect for a curious five year old boy. At first I thought this was a snail, turns out it was a funky looking mushroom.


Along the trail we found the tractor and wood chipper.

Papa took Isaac on a trail ride in the Kubota truck. He even got to help make a dump off the back.




4 comments:

Aimee said...

Wow their garden looks wonderful. I wish I could grow half of what they have. Thanks for sharing

Mimaw said...

I have GOT to go see Suzanne and Rob's her place someday, it's like a little wonderland!!!

Tina Nguyen said...

What a great garden and what beautiful pictures!

Kate and Blake plus 3 said...

Such great pictures. I like how you manage to make really gross veggies look like art!