Sunday, October 12, 2008

I can't believe it!

This morning I woke up to Isaac squealing in delight at the snow outside. The weather men kept predicting that it would snow, but deep down I never truly believe them until I see it. For once they were right. I wish I would have had time to get Isaac dressed up so I could get some pics, but we had to be in Centerville for a baby blessing at 9:00am. I guess there will be plenty of opportunities for that all winter long. I did manage to take a quick one of the back yard. By the time we were home from the blessing it was gone and Isaac was not happy about that. I had to explain to him that it will snow again. He still didn't like that answer much.

Yesterday was Super Sat. at our ward. I ended up having 23 sign ups for with boots and 12 for the hats. So it was a little crazy. My friend Mandy Hardman taught a grow board class. This is a picture of mine. She said she wouldn't mind if I posted it with directions. It is such a cute idea because you can take it with you if you move.

Supplies
6 ft 1"x12"(actual wood width is 11.25")
Brown paint
Modge Podge
9 pieces of 12x12 cardstock(a mix of printed and plain works best)
make sure it is cardstock weight, it takes the modge podge better
4" letters that say Watch Me Grow! (I used my Cricut with Cuttin' Up cartridge to cut 4" letters)
3" numbers 1-6 (I used same Cricut cartridge)
Strips to make ruler side. 1/4" wide, 7-3.75" long and 30-2" long strips
A small paint roller

1. Cut cardstock into 4"x3.75" squares. You will need 54 squares. I inked the sides to make them look antiqued.
2. Paint the board brown. I just painted the sides because that is all you would see and I'm lazy.
3. Make a pattern with your paper. 3 rows of 3. You will follow this pattern all the way down.
4. Begin modge podging them to the board. Put the two outside squares down first and then the middle square. We did 9 squares and then used the paint roller to roll out the bubbles. Make sure you attach the squares so the 3.75" sides are going across and the 4" sides are going down. Once you get all the squares on the board, let the modge podge dry.
5. When it is dry apply a layer of modge podge over the entire top of the board and let dry.
6. Modge podge letters, numbers, and lines to the board. Use the 3.75" strips at each foot marker and 2" strips every 2 inches.
7. When dry apply another layer of modge podge over the entire top of the board.

It is a little time consuming, but it is well worth it. They really are so cute.

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

London said...

Cute Grow Board. Mandy has such talent!!

The Little's said...

Amanda, I finally started blogging again. My blog is private so e-mail me your e-mail and so I can invite you. ashlieandmatt@yahoo.com.
I loved doing the grow board. Yours turned out really good! Also I saw the pictures of the boys at Liberty Park in their swimming suit. So cute!!

Melissa said...

Wow that's awesome.
I can't believe it snowed!!
Poor Isaac.
I guess I better play with Masaru outside for as long as possible.

Kevin and Jamie said...

Hey Mandi! You guys got way more snow than we did, I am totally going to make one of those grow boards!!! They are so cute!

Melinda said...

Wasn't that snow crazy? My girls were loving it too. It's the little things that really get them going!