Monday, September 28, 2009

Home Made Bread in 1 Hour!

I have taken on a new project, no more store bought bread. I have always been a lover of home made bread, but have been a bit put off by the time involved. At our Enrichment Super Saturday this year, we had a 1 hour bread demonstration. I am here to say that it really only takes one hour and the bread is fabulous. You can make white or wheat and it is perfect for using food storage as it contains no eggs or oil. The binding ingredient is liquid soy lecithin. It is a 100% natural, soy based product that is found in almost all cookies and breads you already buy. I assume you can buy it at health food stores, but I ordered mine here because it was a great price. I've decided I can take an hour or two a week to make bread. So here are the recipes if you are interested. I used my Kitchen Aid Mixer, but I'm sure if you are ambitious enough you could do it by hand. This won't work in a bread maker.
White Bread
5 1/4 cup white bread flour (not all purpose, do not sift)
1/4 cup sugar (white, brown or honey)
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 rounded tbsp. Saf-instant yeast(keep in freezer)
1 1/2 tbsp. liquid lecithin(dough enhancer)
2 cup hot tap water
Whole Wheat Bread
2 1/4 cup white bread flour(not all purpose, do not sift)
3 cup whole wheat flour(do not sift)
1/4 cup sugar(white, brown, or honey)
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tbsp. Saf-instant yeast(keep in freezer)
1 1/2 tbsp. liquid lecithin(dough enhancer)
1-2 tsp. vanilla
2 cup hot tap water
Whole Wheat Supplements
1/2 cup applesauce(minus out 1/2 cup water)
1/2 cup prepared oatmeal
1/4 cup dry instant or steel cut oats
Nuts
Mix dry ingredients with regular hook to evenly mix yeast. Add lecithin and water. Mix for 1 minute with a dough hook and check consistency, must be sticky. If dough is too dry, add more water. If dough is too moist, add more flour. Mix for 5 minutes*. Do not add water or flour to the dough after it has finished mixing. Shape into two loaves, put in two greased loaf pans. Cover with a dish towel. Let raise for 25 min. Bake at 350 for 25 min.
Yields 2 loaves of bread
*for whole wheat bread mix for 10 min.
I've only made the wheat bread because that is what we eat at my house. I've tried a few variations and my favorite is to make it with brown sugar, substitute 1/2 cup water with 1/2 cup applesauce, and add 1/4 cup dry instant oats.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

I need to get a kitchen aide.

kaTie said...

oooo... that makes me hungry. it sounds so good. cody would be soo impressed... lol.

bev said...

I love homemade bread when it is fresh and hot out of the oven. Otherwise not so much. Wait to go. when will you be running my hot loaf over???

Mimaw said...

How did you get the Delma gene? I didn't even get that

SuZanneFleming said...

Darling: You must have your Grandma Martha's genes (Glenn's mom). She made the most outrageous bread every week and people were literally begging for a loaf. I can hardly wait to try this and thanks for taking the time to share. Love You, Auntie Zanne