Sunday, January 25, 2009

Our Time in History...

.

Regardless of individual political beliefs, this past year has been such a historic one. I will remember it for the rest of my life. I was just stuck to the T.V. during the inauguration, tears streaming down my face. It's just amazing to see how far our country has come, to elect an African American president and to have a female presidential candidate make it as far as she did. I love to see history being made. Isaac was watching the inauguration with me and was asking all kinds of questions. I was explaining to him that Barack Obama was now the new president of our country. At first he thought Pres. Obama's name was pretty funny. I wanted to try to explain the significance of this inauguration to him. I was telling him that Pres. Obama is the first black president we have had. He responded by saying.."Mom, he is not a black president, he is a brown president.". I just love the innocence. I almost found it hard explaining to him that there is a difference, because in my eyes, a human being is a human being no matter their color and I don't want my kids to think differently. I love that we live in this time where I was not raised with prejudices and that I won't be raising my kids with them either. I am also grateful to be a woman in this day. For the freedoms I have. Yesterday, I was doing a clients hair and we were talking about this subject. This client of mine is amazing. She first went to school to be a nurse, and when she was done, she went to law school. She was the first female nurse/attorney in Utah. She was also the first female attorney hired by a well known law firm in SLC. She told me a story about when she went with all the lawyers to lunch once at the Alta Club, and they wouldn't let her in the front door because she was woman. I can't even imagine that kind of treatment. Our country may not be perfect but we have come a long way

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Mmmmmm good post Mandi, I agree.
I just had to work for a few minutes to get Masaru to say his name right.
He can now and gets excited every time he sees him on TV.
It's great.

Clarissa Earl said...

Childhood innocence is so precious. I love that Obama is a "brown president". Great post and thanks for the love and encouragement!

Aimee said...

Thanks for the great post. That is so funny how Isaac said that Obama is a "brown president". I just love his innocence.