Today was such a strange day. Isaac went off to first grade. His presence was missed all day. I think Alex asked twenty times where Isaac was. I just felt like I had thrown him to the wolves. I think I was more worried than Isaac. I just hate knowing that he is at recess with the big kids and him not eating enough at lunch. It feels like it's an end of an era. He will be in school all day from now on. This year we started him in a dual language immersion program. He will be learning Mandarin Chinese 50% of the time. He has two teachers and will spend the first half of the day learning in English and the second half learning in Chinese. Ms. Chen only speaks to the children in Chinese. We were able to meet both of them yesterday and it was interesting to watch how the Chinese class would operate. I am super excited for him and glad he will have something new to stimulate his little mind. In order to learn Chinese he had to change schools, so I pray he will find some good little friends.


Alex thought he was going to school also. He was sobbing when we dropped Isaac off.
Yesterday I took Isaac to get new school shoes. THEY ARE A SIZE THREE! The picture below is my foot next to them. I just can't believe that he is growing up so fast.
In addition to learning to speak Chinese, he will also learn to read and write Chinese. He will learn to paint the characters as well. Below was his first try. He wrote ni hao which means my name.





7 comments:
Fantastic Mandi.
I'm excited to see how Issac loves it you know and all the new things he'll learn.
What a great chance for him.
I bet he'll be grateful you chose this route for him.
I'd love to put my kids in a half English half 'other language' class.
Maybe Spanish, Chinese or Japanese, German.
Does it cost money?
Wow! Big time stuff! Hope you all make the transition well! I think it's always hardest for the momma!
He looked so handsome. I hope he likes it!
ling ching hing jeiclk clkeck schlieg - That was me saying Yipee Zipee for Isaac!!!
This all day this is scary... glad you feel the same way I do.
I can't wait to hear all about this Chinese program.
I think our babies grow up too fast! It's hard to be both excited for their new experiences and sad that they are gone at the same time. But they always seem to love it so it must be a good thing.
Wow the whole Chinese thing seems pretty amazing. I can't believe first grade already.
Post a Comment